[Techtalk] Re: Changing ownership of devices

kaptan kaptan at kablonet.com.tr
Thu Sep 11 17:05:17 EST 2003

Hi all,

When a user logs into a machine under Red Hat Linux, the pam_console.so
module is called by login or the graphical login programs, gdm and kdm. If
this user is the first user to log in at the physical console — called the
console user — the module grants the user ownership of a variety of devices
normally owned by root. The console user owns these devices until the last
local session for that user ends. Once the user has logged out, ownership of
the devices reverts back to the root user.

The devices affected include, but are not limited to, sound cards, diskette
drives, and CD-ROM drives.

This allows a local user to manipulate these devices without attaining root,
thus simplifying common tasks for the console user.

 ->By modifying the file /etc/security/console.perms, the administrator can
edit the list of devices controlled by pam_console.so.

Source: RH9 Ref. Guide 14.6.1

You may customize / overrule the default settings.

Best regards,
Cengizhan