[Techtalk] Changing ownership of devices

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Sep 9 00:40:29 EST 2003

I know there's an answer to this somewhere...

I have a scanner on /dev/sg0.  If I log in in X, I can use the scanner via
xsane.  Now, if I log out and log in again via ssh, I suddenly cannot use
the scanner.  It turns out that the ownership of /dev/sg0 has changed.
When I was logged in locally, it was:

crw------- 1 cdaly root 21,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/sg0

when I logged out and came back in via ssh it was:

crw------- 1 root root 21,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/sg0

I had this sort of issue over sound devices in the past and I seem to
remember something about changing a pam setting.  Does anyone know?

I know it's reasonable to limit access to certain devices to the user
sitting at the machine but I want the scanner to be available over the
network also.  I haven't figured out the details of sane-net yet so I may
be able to access the thing that way in any case...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)