[Techtalk] Configuration Restrictions

Bud bud at babytux.org
Mon Sep 1 11:08:02 EST 2003

Booting from a live CD is a good idea. Recently I discovered that Knoppix had
a cool service called the Knoppix Terminal Service which you can use to boot
a remote diskless client over the network. This in contrast to the LTSP
project (www.ltsp.org) allows applications to be run locally as opposed to
running them on the server and just getting the output on a local X server.

 I had an old sony vaio notebook (PII 366Mhz) which had the hard disk and the
controller chip burned. It was able to boot off a USB floppy and so I
downloaded a boot image for my network card (eepro100) from
http://www.rom-o-matic.net/ and booted knoppix off that.

 If you are interested in making your own linux live cd I have written a
how-to and can be found at
http://www.babytux.org/articles/howto/how2livecd.php

Bud