[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Fri Oct 31 12:28:04 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:24:12 +0100, Hamster <hamster at hamsternet.org> wrote:

> I'd be curious to see what happens if you after you mount the cd and you
> try doing a "raw" copy using dd. Something like dd if=/dev/cdrom
> of=~/cd.iso

Ok, I just tried it. Here's what it did:

dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
104+0 records in
104+0 records out

Odd. I remember there was a disk zapper in DOS one time a looooong time
ago that would take a floppy or hard drive, and display the actual bytes
on all the sectors/tracks and let you export them. It was a good disk
snooper. I wish there was a linux version that worked like that for CD-RWs
because then I could just grab stuff and/or even see if it's all there...

This really upsets me. Those pictures were kinda one-of-a-kind. And, this
is the SECOND time I lost my boyfriend's pictures! :( The first time I
reinstalled thinking I had them on CD and didn't.

Oh well, live and learn. But I just feel that the actual files are in
there, just that the CD-RW drive isn't reading them. I wish I had another
drive handy to read it. Don't know of anyone that would let me use their
computer though other than my BF and he's like on the third floor of his
apartment (I'm in an upper myself) no elevators in either building and
he's a few miles away. So lugging an old Gateway 2000 machine is like a
huge task. LOL!

I'll keep trying things and let you know if there's any progress....

TechChiq