[Techtalk] running a mixed Debian system

Dominik Schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Fri Oct 31 11:26:13 EST 2003

Hi Carla,

Carla Schroder wrote:

>Any particular issues with running a mixed stable/testing system? Or
>testing/unstable? Can the unwary user get sucked into Dependency Hell Slough,
>or does it generally work OK?

The basic problem is that very often packages from testing
require a libc6 (and accompanying packages) from testing.
Then, if other packages depend on libc6 stable (mostly
development related: libc6-dev etc.) these have to be
installed from testing, too.

So, if you can live with a libc6 and development C-libs
from testing, there's no problem.
For me privately, it runs absolutely okay. I don't know if I'd do it
at work, though. Debian is rarely supported by software
or hardware vendors, but running a Debian testing environment
is not even recommended by Debian itself. :-)

hope this helps
regards,
dominik