[Techtalk] Re: Directory handling with apache server

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Fri Oct 31 11:46:39 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 01:56:19 -0800, Berenice Chong wrote:

> Hi John, and thanks for the explanation. So just to make sure I
> understand correctly: apache knows /john is a directory (and not a
> document) by using stat()?

it'll be either stat() or lstat() - the difference is that lstat()
follows symbolic links and stat() doesn't.

> Ok I think I got this bit :)  So if the URL is
> http://kirriwa.net/john
> the server should redirect the browser to http://kirriwa.net/john/  ?

yes, that's exactly what apache does, and i'd expect other servers to
do the same.  i included an actual http transaction showing how this
happens in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

> Thanks

you're welcome.

cheers,

john