[Techtalk] How should I partition the hard drive?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Oct 30 00:22:21 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 02:44:55PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
TechChiq thought:

> swap partition is at 550MB (I have 256MB RAM on my system, so that's a bit
> over double, which I thought would be good as I like to do a lot with
> graphics and photos).

If you plan to do a whole lot of graphics/photos and can spare the cash,
it would be worthwhile getting some extra RAM though 256Mb is a fairly
decent amount.

> at figuring that program out. I just would like to know how much MB of
> space to set aside for what.

Maintain a seperate partition for the /home directory.  That way, when
it's upgrade time, (or when you decide to do a clean install again) your
$HOME will be preserved.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)