[Techtalk] Too many files open

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Sun Oct 26 17:02:37 EST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:21:57PM +0100, Conor Daly wrote:
> I'm running an RH7.2 based terminal server with about 12 thin clients.  Users
> are generally running KDE. I'm getting a series of "too many files open"
> errors.  Apparently the fix is to increase the value in
> /proc/sys/fs/file-max.  Current value is 8192.  What sort of value is
> reasonable for such a server?

To be honest I'd rather investigate what causes the behavior. We had a
simliar thing on a server running Oracle, Roxen and a bunch of other stuff
and the first two didn't interact nicely which drove file-max over the
limit.

If you see everything's OK I'd gradually try to increase file-max and keep
on monitoring until you've found a value which works for you.

Just my 2 cents,

Gina
--
Gina Lanik                      :: LinuxChix member
SysAdmin                        :: http://www.linuxchix.org/