[Techtalk] directory handling with apache server

Berenice Chong showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 05:48:48 EST 2003

I've been poking around apache as a result of trying to install sarg,
and I've got some basic questions that I can't seem to find the
answers to on the apache website.  Can someone please explain?

How does apache know that a requested url is a directory? Is it
because of the trailing slash at the end?  The FAQ says trailing
slashes are needed for relative URLs to work properly, but I don't
understand why. (I know what relative urls look like but apache is
pretty new to me)

thanks
Berenice