[Techtalk] tiny homebuilt appliance?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Oct 23 16:49:25 EST 2003

like, hi there,

I'm looking for an alternative to using old PCs for firewall/gateway and other
specialized servers. They're big and clunky. I've heard here and there of
little computers-on-boards- anyone know what I'm talking about? For an
Internet gateway, for example, all I need is CPU, memory, and storage. Not a
whole huge box with expansion slots and fans and masses of circuitry I'll
never use. Something with a serial connection and Ethernet.

For a commercial box, I really like Snapgear. But I'd like to build my own.
I'm not sure what to look for, I've been googling and getting confused.

thanks for ideas,
Carla
--
Carla Schroder