[Techtalk] Web page downloads with null characters

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 22 09:31:45 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 07:58:41PM +0200 or thereabouts, Dan Richter wrote:
>   http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/iso-date
> seems to look fine under Windows, but on my Red Hat machine it downloads
> with null characters (character zero) inserted between every two
> characters. This is true whether I use Mozilla, Konqueror or wget.
>
> Can anyone tell me where the problem is?

I also have a RH machine: RH 9.0 with a few updates. And in Mozilla
here it looks fine. I tried changing the character encoding in
View->Character Coding->  but not much happened. wget also collected
it happily. I don't see any double spaces.

> The purpose isn't really to allow me to read the page, but rather to
> know where to submit the bug report.

Since I am also using RH 9.0 and Mozilla, I am not sure it's a
bug in those. Perhaps I or you have something "different" in a
setting somewhere, but I can't think what it could be.

I don't have any fancy fonts installed, and I have told Mozilla
nothing special about "use this font". The only change I have
ever made is to tell it always to have a minimum font size.

Telsa