Package Managers (was: Re: [Techtalk] Group Permission Security Question)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Oct 20 23:07:09 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:11:42PM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
TechChiq thought:

> What I was talking about, though, is the graphical package manager. I do
> have rpm (from the command line) but the graphical one there is has a
> list of different "categories" and within them some packages that are
> installed. But it doesn't list EVERYTHING. It's so genearalized it
> leaves so much out and you can't install or uninstall anything other
> than what is listed. If you installed everything, it doesn't list
> everything you installed, even! Just only a certain select few things
> and then that listing is very general too. :( IOW, I have to do
> everything from the command line with RPM management because the GUI
> package manager is so limited. :( I thought that was a Pink Tie thing
> though.

It might be worth your while to go get apt-rpm (http://freshrpms.net).  It
provides you with the rpm version of debian's apt tools.  One of the first
things suggested is a download of "synaptic", an apt GUI.  I've found it
useful for browsing available packages though I've had it hang whenever I
tried to actually _install_ anything with it.  Instead, I use apt-get
thus:

apt-get install <package-name>

apt looks after all of the dependencies (thus avoiding "rpm dependency
hell").

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)