[Techtalk] Installation Help Needed for Pan

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Mon Oct 20 17:24:55 EST 2003

I've tried to install Pan 0.14.2 on my system. I got all the
dependancies installed, so I thought. I had compiled gtkspell 2.0.4 and
everything went ok. But when I go to run Pan, it's looking for
libgtkspell.so.0 and says this:

pan: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkspell.so.0: cannot open

Odd because a whereis shows this:

libgtkspell.so: /usr/local/lib/libgtkspell.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libgtkspell.so

So it did get installed.

I compiled it from my /home/username/incoming/Pan directory where I
hadextracted it to it's own dir (gtkspell-2.0.4). I went like this:

$ ./Configure
$ make
$ make install
$ make check
$ make clean

Of course, I'm still unsure of what I'm doing so what popped up and
scrolled on the screen was greek to me (ie. I didn't really bother to
pay much attention as long as it finished without major error). All
*seemed* to go through ok. I have gnet2 installed as well.

My question is, what dir is the libgtkspell supposed to go in so that
Pan can find it? It obviously went into a dir that Pan isn't looking
in.I tried to find some manuals to pan but 'man pan' turned up no
manuals.I installed Pan from an rpm (pan-0.14.2-1.i386.rpm). Looking
throughout my system, Pan only is found in /usr/bin/pan and nothing else
showed up anywhere else (both in KDE's find and using whereis from a
term). Here's what is installed:

$  rpm -ql pan
/usr/bin/pan
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/ANNOUNCE.html
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/CREDITS
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/pan-0.14.2/README
/usr/share/gnome/apps/Internet/pan.desktop
/usr/share/locale/am/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/lv/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/no/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/sr at Latn/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/pan.mo
/usr/share/pixmaps/pan.png

Help?? I'm hoping Pan's newer version will let me see attached files and
pictures as well as read offline. The old version I couldn't figure out
how to tell if messages had file attachments or how to get to
view/decode/save them. (I had like 0.13.something on my system as part
of the PT9 Install and wanted to upgrade).

I'm in the userforums.jasc.com news server's groups there (Paint Shop
Pro groups) and people sometimes post things like useful Python scripts
for PSP 8, images, tutorials, etc. and I'd like to be able to download
and save these. Also like to read my stuff offline (on dialup :)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

--
TechChiq
--------