[Techtalk] Mandrake 9.2

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Oct 18 09:27:08 EST 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 8:18 am, Brenda Bell wrote:
> Has anybody tried it yet?  I've done the downloads but wanted to see if
> anyone has any useful feedback before I bite the bullet.

I know that hordes of people adore Mandrake, but no matter how hard I try, I
just can't like it. There are too many weirdities. 9.2 is no exception. Like
all Mandrakes, the install is easy and flawless. Actually using it is where
the trouble begins. The primary troubles are in the over-abundance of GUI
config tools. There's the Drak stuff, and whatever comes with window managers
and desktops, and random Red Hat detritus. There are incompatibilities,
whatever you do in one messes up another. I don't know who pioneered using
config tools that maintain their own databases, instead of simply being a
front-end to the system files, but  I'd like to find them and slap them.
Mandrake is too full of such for me.

If that's not an issue for you, you'll probably like 9.2.

--
Carla Schroder