[Techtalk] [OT] SOLVED: NIS problems on legacy Solaris 1.1.2 systems

distantnorth at netscape.net distantnorth at netscape.net
Tue Oct 7 13:43:16 EST 2003

Hi, everyone,

It's fixed, and I thought I'd pass along the solution in case anyone else runs ino it:

I had to add the following to the /etc/rc.local file after it determines the domain name:

ypbind -ypsetme
ypset <master ip address>

It then booted correctly into the domain.  At that point ypinit -s <master name> ran correctly.  (Yes, this is and was an NIS slave server.)  I then edited out the lines I had added to /etc/rc.local and everything worked as expected at next boot.

Whew!  Now to get the Solaris 1.1.2 workstations done :(

All the best,
Caity