[Techtalk] slackware on laptops

iriXx dev_null at iriXx.org
Tue Oct 7 01:53:33 EST 2003

Conor Daly wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 11:41:38PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
> iriXx thought:
>
>>Conor Daly wrote:
>>

>>>LT modems are usually to be found on ttyS14 IIRC.  The device won't be
>>>there until the module is loaded and there's a link to /dev/ttyS14 from
>>>/dev/modem.
>>
>>ok, i had a look at the script and its done that much - its just not
>>installing the module because the script has a different path to where
>>Slackware puts its modules. i presume i should put it in
>>/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/build/net/ ? it wants
>>/lib/modules/2.4.20/misc/ which i dont have. but maybe i dont need it at
>>all as long as the symlink is correct.
>

> The copy I have uses:
>
> /lib/modules/<kernel.version>/ltmodem/
>
> and a 'depmod -a' to work out dependencies.  There is a '1st.README' file
> with the sources which details the installation.  It might be worth poking
> through that.  I seem to remember (I was testing this for another machine,
> my own modem is a real one) having to do some voodoo to get things going.
> Maybe even a reboot!
>

>>i dont know what chipset i have, but its a Compaq Armada M700.
>

> as root, 'lspci' should tell you.
>
> Conor

ahhhh right, i'll have a look at that.

worked out i've got a kernel conflict between ltmodem.o built with
2.2.10 and my kernel 2.4.20 - or at least thats whats being reported
now. lots of unresolved symbols. but i have ttys14 and its attempting to
load the module at least.

would depmod -a resolve this, or just make noise about the unresolved
symbols?
i'm not sure where i can get a more recent ltmodem.o

there might well be vodoo called for - theres always something with a
linux install!
still, im impressed with slackware so far - nice and compact, and pretty
much everything else works (most importantly my wifi card)

thanx
m~

--

  ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are
subtle and will piss on your computer."
-- Bruce Graham

Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

  .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.