[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 07:45:00 EST 2003

Karen Locke wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 21:59, David Merrill wrote:

>>I've dropped the Intel and decided to go with:
>>
>>MOBO: ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE 875P 800MHz FSB 8xAGP Hyper-Threading SATA
>>

> Just a thought, which may or may not be relevant for you:  I put a system
> together for myself last year after my old hard drive bit the dust and my 300
> MHz PII was really getting long in the tooth.  I chose AMD over Intel, since
> it seemed like a better deal, and got a 1.6 GHz processor -- one of the
> slower Athlon versions available at the time.  Put it together, fired it up,
> and was shocked by how _loud_ the fan is.
>
> I shopped around for a quieter fan,  but couldn't find one.  I was repeatedly
> told that AMDs run hot, they need bigger fans, and I'd have to live with it.
> And so I have... but reluctantly.  If I were building another system today,
> I'd think about noise as an issue.  (But otherwise, I'm really happy with my
> system.)

There =are= quieter fans out there (I have two or three in the box
by my left foot), but when you have 5 or 6 case fans, 2 power
supply fans, 2 processor fans, and a disk drive fan, it all adds
up.  If noise is an issue you might want to look at water coolers.

And if you have any experience with them, please let me know.  I
want to buy one ;-)
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.