[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 10:36:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:16:05PM -0700 or thereabouts, Karen Locke wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 21:59, David Merrill wrote:
> > I've dropped the Intel and decided to go with:
> > MOBO: ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE 875P 800MHz FSB 8xAGP Hyper-Threading SATA
> >
> I chose AMD over Intel, since it seemed like a better deal,
> and got a 1.6 GHz processor -- one of the slower Athlon versions
> available at the time.  Put it together, fired it up, and was
> shocked by how _loud_ the fan is.

I'd forgotten about this, but yes! We have a variety of Athlons
in the house (as you do..) and the noise and heat of them: ow!
(You may laugh, but I genuinely did use the room with them in for
drying clothes.) This is an ex-multiple-occupancy house so it
came with big heavy fire doors that renting out requires a house
to have. So we could just shut the door and we wouldn't hear it.
But I wouldn't like to have it on in a room which I use for other
things: entertaining friends, reading, or particularly sleeping.

These are old now, of course. Things may have changed. But if
they haven't changed, they are very loud.

Telsa