[Techtalk] Re: wi-fi

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sun Nov 30 12:15:51 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 04:27, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 8:02 pm, John White wrote:
> > Having a 2.4GHz wireless network is exactly the
> > reason why I only buy 900 MHz cordless phones. No
> > frequency conflicts, no neighbors too close, covers
> > the whole (little) yard with either one.
>
> But 2.4 sounds like, you know, more! Bigger! Better! Must have more,
> bigger, better.

Oh, tell me about it! My father's *entire* last project (he's an IC
design engineer) was construction of a radio chip for 5.6GHz, which
apparently presents a bunch more problems than other bands. Why? Well,
it says 5.6GHz on the outside of the box, and everyone knows that more
gigahertz are *good*! Oh, well, I guess it keeps the radio bods
occupied :-P

Oh, and don't use 900MHz in Europe - if I'm not mistaken, it's going to
start fighting with your GSM cellphone :)

Meredydd