[Techtalk] Debian -> Gentoo

BoBB BoBB at irgeek.net
Sun Nov 30 14:15:57 EST 2003

It wouldn't really be that easy, but it is easy. You would need to do a
fresh gentoo install which would be much cleaner, just dont delete your
old install untill you are sure you have all your config files and
everything that you will need.

As far as the latest dev packages ... gentoo has ports for quite a few
cvs packages, which will download the latest cvs build and build it.
Also if you want a package that is newer than what is in portage you can
roll your own ebuild very easily, plus the gentoo distro and packaging
are very well documented and have a great community backing that up. I
switched from debian to gentoo over a year ago and havent looked back
since, I love it!