[Techtalk] A distro for old machines...

Ricky Buchanan rb at tertius.net.au
Sat Nov 29 16:12:03 EST 2003

Bud wrote:
>   I am interested in trying to build a desktop distro that will work on old
> computers. By old I mean it should work on a P MMX 200Mhz+ with 32MB ram and
> a 4MB video card.

This is an "old" machine? I can't keep up with moore anymore ... I only
recently upgraded from a machine like this, my main
web/mail/ftp/mailinglist server runs on a pentium 120!  It does have a
fair bit of RAM.  Increasing RAM on a lowend machine will almost always
give you MUCH better performance.

If you could combine 2 computers you describe, to get one with 64mb
instead of 2 with 32 each, you'd probably get better overall
performance, IIRC.  Dunno if I'm correct, necessarily, but it's a
general rule.

Regards,
Ricky

--