[Techtalk] Resizing A Partition?

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Nov 22 19:46:10 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 16:31, Raquel Rice wrote:
> I need to resize the /usr partition on an existing installation.
> What is the best way to do that with the minimum damage?

Well, one way would be to use Parted
(http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html).  Should come with most
distros.  I think there several GUI interfaces to them (QtParted for
example), but I'm not sure if you will be able to use them while resizing
/usr.

Other options depend a bit on your disk layout and/or whether you have any
empty (non-partitioned) disk space.  In which case the output of df would be
useful, and possibly fdisk.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--