[Techtalk] kb KB kB Kb etc!

Robyn Manning rmanning at adam.com.au
Thu Nov 13 02:27:32 EST 2003

Hi

k = kilo

K = Kelvin a unit for temperature

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictK.html

kibi a binary prefix meaning 2^10 = 1024. This prefix, adopted by the
International Electrotechnical Commission in 1998, was supposed to
replace kilo- for binary applications in computer science. Thus 1024
bytes of storage is officially a kibibyte, not a kilobyte. However,
computer professionals generally dislike this unit (they say it sounds
like a cat food) so the ambiguity in the size of a kilobyte persists.
The prefix is a contraction of 'kilobinary.' The symbox Ki-, rather than
ki-, was chosen for uniformity with the other binary prefixes (Mi-, Gi-,
etc.)

Kib kilobits
KiB kilobytes

Robyn