[Techtalk] Recruiting :^)

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Tue Nov 11 10:44:29 EST 2003

Hey all,
	Those who know me will already know this, and will probably have seen
this type of message a good couple of times already. Apologies to them,
it's pretty much the same old, same old. But, for anyone else:

	I am the lead developer on EB-Lite, the codename for the next
generation of the Everybuddy instant messenger. Everybuddy is a
universal instant messenger - the idea is to integrate several
different IM services (AOL, ICQ, MSN, etc) in one program. EB-Lite
changes the whole architecture: the core, which handles messaging,
buddy lists, processing, and so on, is headless. Instead, it
communicates over TCP with any number of user interfaces, which handle
interaction with the user, and making everything look pretty.

	The advantage? The interface can be anywhere. We have interfaces in
development using the Qt toolkit, Cocoa, pure HTML, and even one for
your mobile phone!

	OK, so why am I sending this out? Put bluntly, we want developers. We
are now within spitting distance of a beta release that can be pitched
to the World At Large, and I'd like help making this happen. What are
we after? Just about anything, really!

	The core is written in C, and does all the heavy lifting of instant
messaging. There are only two big items between us and being
beta-ready: chat logs and file transfer. The core is where I do most of
my work, but by all means do help out!

	The user interfaces are the real weak point at the moment. Our primary
interface, EbQt (C++,Qt), is very respectable, but it is the only
interface so far with the full set of functions. There are others in
the wings, though:

* ChocoBuddy (Java,Cocoa) lacks contact list management, and group chat
support
* WebBuddy (Java,Servlet,HTML) is in the same situation
* RoadBuddy (Java,mobile), although lacking contact management, is
considered "good enough" for the casual use a mobile application is
likely to receive. Nevertheless, if someone wants to make it something
more, or take it in a different direaction, I'm all for it.

Of course, if you have your own idea for an interface (or, indeed, a
single-purpose "interfacelet"), please volunteer! An interface can be
written in any language, in any environment, as long as it can make a
TCP connection to the core. If you're interested in developing an
interface, there are a couple of ideas that only haven't been run with
because we don't have someone to do it (needless to say, being that
someone would be very much appreciated):

* something for Windows
* console/ncurses
* an applet of some description, for embedding into a web browser

Non-coding stuff! We like it! Documentation is always a good thing,
especially with something that doesn't fit the conventions. We're also
looking to completely rewrite the website (content at very least), so
someone who can write more fluently than this rather clumsy appeal
would also be welcomed with open arms.

OK, that's my sales pitch. If you're interested, yell me by private
email. If it's logistically/socially acceptable, I would also really
appreciate it if anyone who could would pitch this to anyone they know
who might be interested, or even their LUG...

Many thanks,
Meredydd