[Techtalk] cvs tags and branches

Bowen, Tricia tbowen at CapitalThinking.com
Tue Nov 11 15:42:40 EST 2003

To be able to do a "cvs commit" you have to be working on the latest HEAD of your code. To add the changes made in HEAD to a particular branch do a "cvs tag -F yourtag yourfile". If you try to modify a tagged version of a file you will get the sticky tag message: this is cvs's way of preventing developers from easily modifying a stable version of the code.
--Tricia

-----Original Message-----
From: Emma Jane Hogbin [mailto:emmajane at xtrinsic.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 1:19 PM
To: TechTalk -- LinuxChix
Subject: [Techtalk] cvs tags and branches

Hi everyone,

I'm completely confused by sticky tags and branches. I thought I
understood, but I don't. I've tried reading "Essential CVS" by Jennifer
Vesperman and http://docs.freebsd.org/info/cvs/cvs.info.CVS_commands.html

I have three different development directories for different servers for
one client. Many hassles later I am no longer doing work for them and want
to "freeze" the work I was doing for them when they decided to stop paying
me. Now over in a completely unrelated directory I'm starting to work for
a new client with the same code base (it's all open source and kosher to
use the same code). I'd like the new client to have a "branch" of the
original code. In theory the old client may someday have new budget to pay
me for the work I did (yeah, dream on, I know).

It looks like I can't create a new branch without having named the first
batch of programming. Somehow I've managed to get a sticky tag on the new
programming and now when I try to commit files in the new directory it
says, "cvs commit: sticky tag `mimic' for file `templates/light.php' is
not a branch".

I'm not even sure what information I need to give to sort things out.

Any help would be much appreciated!
emma

OLD
emmajane at debian:/web/lms/sandbox/server_name/cell$ cvs status cal.php
File: cal.php           Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.4     Wed Oct  1 16:15:51 2003
   Repository revision: 1.4     /cvsroot/proj_name/cal.php,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

NEW
emmajane at debian:/web/new/cell$ cvs status cal.php
File: cal.php           Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.4     Wed Oct  1 16:15:35 2003
   Repository revision: 1.4     /cvsroot/proj_name/cal.php,v
   Sticky Tag:          newclientname (revision: 1.4)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin