[Techtalk] Memory leak in in.ftpd?

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 09:56:46 EST 2003

Greets,

I was checking out my swap file usage and it's up around 350MB,
which is completely unheard of on this machine.  So I went looking
for processes that were growing unreasonably.  What I found is
in.ftpd.

#server-> ps l 28066
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
4   505 28066   803  15   0 741484 6060 schedu S   ?          5:44 [in.ftpd]

It seems to be growing, slowly but surely, which tells me there
is a pretty nasty little memory leak in it somewhere.

#server-> ps l 28066
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
4   505 28066   803  15   0 741524 6060 schedu S   ?          5:44 [in.ftpd]

Unfortunately my employer won't let me play with open source code
(I work on closed source code all day ...), or I'd dive into it
myself.  Anyone else see this?  Anyone have a fix?

Very likely I'm seeing this now because this mobo does a much
better job of staying up compared to the former mobo, which seemed
to hate running Linux for more than a few days.  While I'm thrilled
that my machine is finally stable after years of struggle, I'm not
so thrilled that in.ftpd will reach 1GB in size sometime next week.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.