[Techtalk] dd confusion

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed Nov 5 22:11:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:28:50 -0800
Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:

> Two dd questions:
>
> I want to copy all the contents of hda to hdb. Does hdb have to be the
> exact same disk geometry?
>
> If hda is a bootable disk, will hdb also be bootable?

ooohhh but I just thought of a caveat. If you have software like grub or
lilo that explicity refers to the boot sector as being hda3 or something
like that, when you dd that across to hdb, then hdb will also contain the
same config file saying the boot sector is hda3. So you may want to get in
there with a knoppix cd or something after the dd to change the boot
references. Unless of course hdb is then going to be installed in another
machine as hda.

In which case, ignore my ramblings.

Hamster