[Techtalk] IPTables

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Nov 5 14:08:06 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 05:28:19PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Jennifer Davis thought:

> Up until now, I used IPchains for my NAT/Firewall.  When I tried
> to run my PMFirewall script, it wouldn't work for me.  I guess after 34
> months with the 2.4 kernel, Slack dropped support for IPChains.
>
> I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way of setting up
> IPTables for Slackware.  Ideally it would install via the console as this
> machine does not do X.  Otherwise, is there a way to make my distro
> backwareds compatible?

Raven Alder posted an iptables firewall script last December.  It's in the
archives in the thread "iptables help needed" dated 26-Dec-2003.  I
haven't got a link handy.  I used it for a server I set up but didn't
manage to get NAT working with it.  Not sure why and, when the server
became an X-terminal server, it wasn't necessary anyhow.

You're better off moving forwards since (as you new see) the older stuff
will become unsupported.

Conor (pontificating when he's still using ipchains...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)