Mutt and header-editing (was: Re: Netscape and Mozilla (was: Re: [Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies))

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 15:30:58 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:49:42PM +1100 or thereabouts, Claudine Chionh wrote:
> jas at spamcop.net skribis,
> [editing headers]
[...]
> Mutt can also do this. "set edit_headers" in your .muttrc, then when
> composing messages you'll be able to edit *any* of the headers that
> appear at the top of your message.

In fact, you don't need this option set in advance. I have it unset.
When I finish in the editor and leave it, I get that screen of options
which looks something like this at the top:

y: send  q:abort  t:to  c:cc  s:subject  a:attach file d:desc  ?:help

Hitting ? and looking at the options, you can edit just about any
header separately ([Esc]-f for From, since that's the one that
started this) or hit E to do the full edit-headers thing.

So if you suddenly need to edit them and you don't have "edit_headers"
set in your .muttrc, you don't need to postpone the message, set the
heading, and then start again.

I don't like having all the headers appearing at the start for
every mail I send, so I don't set the edit_headers option. I just
hit esc-F (or whatever) last thing before sending. It's a nice
compromise.

Telsa