Leafnode and fetchmail (was Re: [Techtalk] Opera Help with Replies)

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Mon Nov 3 00:08:41 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 15:58, Conor Daly wrote:
> Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  leafnode is not intended to run as an
> _internet_ server.  Instead it runs as a server for the _local_ machine or
> network.

I actually don't want to run ANY server just to fetch newsgroups for
myself. It still comes down to trying to find a client that will display
the headers and messages the way I'd like, no matter how they are
actually obtained. I'll use KNode for now, it looks like.

> To get the newsgroups, it runs 'fetchnews' an nntp _client_
> which downloads the news articles as necessary.  As far as connections out
> to the internet are concerned, there is no difference between this and
> pan.  fetchnews simply downloads newsgroups.  leafnode provides the news
> server interface than readers like pan expect except that it does so on
> the local network and not out to the internet.

Right, and I still need something to *display* the messages - *that* is
where the problem comes in - how to display the messages so I can tell
which has attachements from just looking at the header (message subject,
etc) or not, and when opened, will display images, and show other
attachments in a way that can be saved to the hard drive. Getting the
messages themselves isn't really a problem. Displaying them is where I
was hoping to have specific features.

> In the same fashion, fetchmail is a mail _client_ as far as the internet
> is concerned.  Since you're on dialup, I assume your connection costs by
> time online.

Nope. Not really... well, and Yes too. I mean, I pay $24.95 every 5
months for unlimited use (and unlimited time online in that period). But
I still don't like tying up my landline. Nor wasting minutes on my cell
phone. So I try not to stay online too long at one time.

> In that case, you need to be able to queue email for
> delivery rather than sending at once.

I have a good email client. Evolution polls, and I love the filtering. I
can put list messages into certain folder, and even have a spam folder
for anything that might be considered spam. And since Evolution will
check my POP boxes and use SMTP, I have no reason to run a mail server.
And I can write stuff offline and send it later, too, if I like.

> I'm not exactly clear on what you want here.  Assuming a news item has a
> binary attachment.  When you see it in a list of headers, there's no
> attachment info.  If you view it, you then see that there is a binary
> attachment.  Now, you have to decide whether to download the attachment or
> not.  With such a message, you have a few choices:

No, it doesn't show it in the message either. (Even the newest version
of Pan). And Pan has too many dependancies, and an ugly black-and-white
line-drawn interface (I assume uses only GTK), instead of letting it
skin with KDE. Not that it matters *too* much, but Pan doesn't have the
functionality I need.

> Conor (muddled)

I'm muddled too, unfortunately. I mean, all that was rather confusing. I
don't want to use fetchmail, or any server or grab my email or
newsgroups with some other thing in linux. I rather use ONE program to
go get the stuff, display it in a way I'd like it to, and then send what
replies (and attachments) as I need. And allow offline use. Evolution is
email only. I'm looking for a newsreader now that allows all I mentioned
before.

I think I'll keep looking... And use KNode until I find something
better.

TechChiq
http://members.fortunecity.com/techchiq/
Paint Shop Pro 8/Wine, Linux, Digital Art, Photography, Web Site Design
Linux User # 331707, Machine # 216034 (http://counter.li.org)