[Techtalk] Trying to patch the kernel...

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Sat May 31 21:31:00 EST 2003

Sara,

It looks like you have only installed the kernel headers. You have to
install the kernel sources as well :)
Generally speaking you have 2 routes:
-1- get the kernel.org (the 'vanilla' kernel)
-2- get the most recent kernel sources from your distro.

Whereas I have no clue as to which distro you are running, and the
commands to get the most recent sources vary from distro to distro (also
I have no recent experience with RedHat, which seems to be widely used),
I'll limit myself to the kernel.org version.

- point you browser to www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4
- download the most recent (currently 2.4.20) stable kernel. Either in
gz or bz2 format
- go to /usr/src and do:
   tar xzf <downloaded image>
   or