[Techtalk] Informal poll: Debian testing on production machines

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri May 30 21:40:04 EST 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Michelle Murrain wrote:

> In general, I've heard here, that many folks use Debian testing
> rather than stable for production machines. I wanted to do an
> informal poll, and find out how many people use testing or stable,
> and their rationales for that.

Hi,

We use debian stable (woody) for production servers.  We take the line
that we can't possibly afford to take chances when we're dealing with a
service provided 24/7 for paying customers, we simply can't risk having
something change unexpectedly in the middle of a regular update.  Even my
own personal server (cats) runs woody.  However, on workstations we
invariably tend to use sid so we can have the latest and greatest bleeding
edge stuff (and the occasional "learning experience" when something breaks
:)

Maria