[Techtalk] Compact flash card

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon May 19 10:19:45 EST 2003

Karen Locke writes:
> I'm struggling to read a Sandisk CF card through a PCMCIA adapter.  My system
> correctly recognizes the (hardware) card, but when I go to mount it, it can't
> figure out what the filesystem is.  I'm running SuSE 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron
> laptop (dual-boot, also runs Win2K, ugh.)

CF cards used in cameras and other consumer equipment almost always
mount as type vfat, so try that (and try fat if vfat doesn't work).
But it's not a good sign that "auto" isn't working ... what you have
looks like it should work.  I haven't used the "sync" option, so
it's possible that's throwing it off.

Maybe try just (as root) mount -t vfat /dev/blah /path and see if
that works?  If it does, then you have a starting point to tune the
fstab entry.

The Zaurus community has a lot of trouble with large Sandisk MMC
cards -- apparently their timing is a bit different from most cards,
but I don't know if that's true of their CF and in any case
I wouldn't think it would apply to a linux machine reading
through a PCMCIA reader.

	...Akkana