[Techtalk] battery life+kupdated+noflushd+devfs+2.4.20-9 (RH9)=much pulling of hair

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Tue May 13 08:59:20 EST 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:31:45AM +1000, Mary wrote:
> Are you using the ext3 filesystem? I'm wondering because the "flush
> every five secs" behaviour sounds like ext3. People sometimes recommend
> other filesystems for laptops for this reason. However, changing
> filesystems is an absolute pain (copy the data somewhere else, reformat
> the drive, copy it back).

I am using ext3, it's the default on RH now.  But AFAIK, you can use
an ext3 partition as a ext2 partition by just mounting it as ext2.
Odd thing is, ext3 should work with devfs+noflushd.  I'll give it a
try, because ext2 might (who knows?) do what I'd like it to do.

> I have no idea if you want to go to the hassle of changing distros, but
> I believe Mandrake uses devfs in its stock kernel. You may want to
> consult documentation on that before switching, even if you decide it
> would be worth it.

I really don't want to switch distros; otherwise I'm happy with RH.
I'm just wondering whether I'm doing something basically wrong in
kernel-compilation, because `make bzImage' stops with errors in
base.c, complaining about a structure not having a member that it's
supposed to have.  I ran make menuconfig, make dep, make clean and
then make bzImage.

Eeva

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando