[Techtalk] sharing files - ssh and ftp

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat May 3 16:49:15 EST 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> How would this allow you to restrict a user to their home directory?
> You could stop them using 'cd', but then the user could not navigate
> around their own home directory structure.

It wouldn't, you'd need to use a chroot jail I think. And the trouble
with a jail is that you can't use anything much outside it at all, for
example /usr/bin stuff - or the ssh binaries.

However, it depends *why* you want to restrict them to their home dirs.

If it's because "I don't want them executing commands, I don't want this
to be a shell account, I just want them to be able to scp files they
have permission to read to and fro" then using this command will limit
the commands they can run to ssh alone, and standard permissions will
bar them from files they aren't meant to read.

If it's a "I seriously do not trust them, and I want to lock them down
so tight they can barely move" then chroot is more like an answer.

-Mary