[Techtalk] Output of --list iptables

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed Mar 26 12:40:04 EST 2003

Berenice,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:59:56PM -0800, Berenice wrote:
> Quick question here: I'm still looking for the source of my iptables
> problem and did "--list iptables" to see if it's currently configured
> to start at boot.  But what does the output mean?
>
> [root at localhost root]# chkconfig --list iptables
> iptables        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

In run levels 2, 3, 4 and 5, the machine will automatically install any
iptables rules that are found int eh file /etc/sysconfig/iptables. In
case the run levels are a mystery to you,

	run level 2 == multiuser mode with no NFS mounts
	run level 3 == normal multiuser mode
	run level 5 == multiuser mode with graphical login (straight to
	X).

Typically, your machine will be running in either run level 3 or 5
(level 4, by the way, is not used on some installations, such as Red
Hat. Other installations may use it for some purpose, though).

I keep meaning to sit down and go through the rules you sent to the list
the other day, but Life has been interfering. I will try to make time
today to so and see if anything obvious jumps out.

Malcolm.

--
To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your
principles.