[Techtalk] Bug when upgrading glibc @ RH8

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Fri Mar 21 07:46:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 04:55, Magni Onsoien wrote:

> So those of you running RedHat 8: don't update the glibc-package unless
> you are able - and prepared - to restart a lot of services manually
> afterwards... (I expect RedHat to come with a new update soon,

After trying to install that latest group that included the kernel
update, I couldn't get X working.  My nVidia drivers wouldn't build.
Since I found that I had a lot of problems (hard freezes on the server;
flakiness on my desktop) with the most recent kernel on both machines
(same mobo, processor and video setup); I downgraded the kernel on my
desktop machine to the last 2.4.24.  The server doesn't use the nVidia
drivers, so that's upgraded.

It was a headache, to say the least.

regards,
.Beth
--
"We're neck deep in the Big Muddy; the big fool says to push on."
   --Pete Seeger, "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy"