[Techtalk] Finding windows files while using linux

Vera Childs vera at dc-vc.net
Wed Mar 19 13:06:13 EST 2003

On 3/18/2003 at 11:46 PM Arashi wrote:
>I have a dual boot machine (Win2000 & RH8).  My lecturer wants us to
>use the "tr" command on a windows file. I'd like to know if there's a
>way to access windows files thru the command line while I'm using
>linux, rather than rebooting into Windows.  If anyone can help, that
>would be great!

I tried RH8 a few months ago, and when I installed it, the kernel did not
automatically have support for NTFS in it. Maybe things have changed with
some kernel upgrades or something, but that was my one-time RH8 experience.
It's pretty easy to tell if you have NTFS support in there or not. Just try
to mount the partitions like everyone here said to do, and if the kernel
doesn't support NTFS, it will tell you.

If it's not there, you may need to recompile the kernel with that option
turned on. I've found it very handy to be able to access my Windows
partitions from Linux.

-Vera