[Techtalk] cgi vs client-side scripts

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Tue Mar 11 10:56:24 EST 2003

At 08:47 PM 3/11/2003 +1100, you wrote:
>We want it to be multi-platform, so
>we plan to use a browser front end and something in the middle in the
>way of scripts to talk to the database & do Stuff. It needs to run on
>Windoze because most of the folk in the industry will have that on
>their PCs, from the info we have.

If you're going to be installing Mozilla anyway,
why not just intall the JRE and write the app
in Java with RMI or sockets? (RMI is much
more fun! :-) Applications like NetBeans make
developing a GUI a breeze.

You could set it up as a JNLP file to start with
Java Web Start from a central server, so you'd
still only have to update the application in one
place.

I've used this on a couple different apps. (If
you'd like to see a (non-professional, for
internal use only :-) sample GUI client/RMI
server-to-MySQL-database let me know.)

Walt

-~

     The paradox is that those people who left only monuments behind
     as a record of their existence have vanished with time, whereas
     the Jews, who left ideas, have survived...a society without
     ideas has no history.
                         Max I. Dimont