[Techtalk] cgi vs client-side scripts

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Wed Mar 12 00:12:06 EST 2003

Hi Rasjid & all,

(no need to cc: me, I'm subscribed!)

> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 20:47, Patricia Fraser wrote:

> > A friend and I are developing a GPL project together, with a MySQL
> > back end, for live fish producers to do inventory, shipping, export
> > documentation with (fish exporting is her background, but she loves
> > tinkering with computers as well). We want it to be multi-platform,
> > so we plan to use a browser front end and something in the middle
> > in the way of scripts to talk to the database & do Stuff.

> Have you considered using Python with wxPython (wxWindows wrapper)
> instead of a browser front end?  This would give you a 'normal'
> application with native look and feel on Mac and Windows and GTK look
> and feel on Linux.  This way you avoid both Apache and the potential
> multiple browser problem, while still getting cross-platform
> compatibility.

Wow - right out of left field! A question, though: when I *want* to go
networked (including intranet/internet), how hard will it be? With the
MySQL/Apache/browser combo, it shouldn't be to difficult to do, just
(possibly) difficult to secure. I'm relying heavily on other people's
networkable programming in these two cases; how much am I likely to
have to add on to a Python-based front end?

(pokes nose out of comfort zone, nose promptly turns blue)

cheers!
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia
trish at thefrasers.org