[Techtalk] Installing Linux on an older laptop

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon Mar 10 16:43:10 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:20:27AM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
txjulie at austin.rr.com thought:
> Robyn Manning wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > If your machine has a CD-Rom you could try Knoppix. Knoppix is a
> > bootable CD that loads into RAM without touching the existing hard
> > drive. It's great as a rescue CD also.
>
> Thanks -- I'll look into that as well.  I burned a CD already
> with Tom's Root Boot thingy and it worked rather nicely.
>
> So far I've only seen floppy and CD mini-distros.  Has no one
> ever made a ZIP mini distro?

Not ubiquituous enough I guess.  The lnx BBC (Bootable Business Card) 50Mb
mini distro has build tools for building itself so you should be able to
extend that to a 250Mb distro.

For those "linuxy" times, why not use cygwin?  Or do you need _full_
control of the machines...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)