[Techtalk] Debian freezes

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Sat Mar 8 07:52:24 EST 2003

I am running Debian 3.0r (woody) and in many ways can be still considered a
Debian newbie, since I am moving from the Slackware camp.

One thing I like about Debian is the "apt" package.  I have installed several
packages via the net very conveniently.  However I do not know if there are any
best practices in setting up "sources.list".  When I wanted some package I
would add the source to the sources.list file and then update my system. Is
this a sound practice?

There are quite a few packages that I have downloaded such as Gnome 2.2
XFree86 4.2.2 and several more.  Debian freezes more frequently now i.e. each
time that the screensaver runs more than X hours. I simply have to reboot the
system.  Without the forum taking offence I never experienced this kind of
system freezing on Slackware.

I am clueless as to find why the X is freezing.  Sometimes it uses 99% CPU
while other times it simple freezes the system.  Cntrl+Alt+Backspace will do
nothing.  I have to power down the system and in worst cases (when the system
did not respond to the "power" button) I had to pull the power cord, to restart
the system.

Attached below is my "sources.list" file.  Please let me know what is the
best way to upgrade a system and still stay abreast with some of the latest
applications.

PS - Please do not send me URLs and say go and read that.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://people.fsn.hu/~pasztor/debian woody xfree

deb ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

deb http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.vpn-junkies.de/openoffice/ woody main contrib

deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~frankie/debian/woody/kalem/ /

deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1/Debian stable main

deb http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian woody gnome2
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian woody gnome2

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

deb http://archive.progeny.com/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://archive.progeny.com/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib

deb http://mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody gnome2.2/
deb-src http://mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody gnome2.2/