[Techtalk] User-Mode Linux v. BSD jail

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu Mar 6 11:03:18 EST 2003

As I'm reading up on UML, I've noticed that some people have said that when running
several UML VMs stability isn't the best.  Does anyone have much experience with
this?

On irc, hpa suggested looking into BSD jail, which is lighter weight and stable.
This looks like it would be pretty good, too (I don't want to use plain chroot
because that still gives processes access to networking, and also there are ways to
break out of chroot I've read).

Not having a lot of experience with BSD, I'm more likely to go the UML route, but
I'm concerned about stability. Also, I am pretty fascinated with the possibility of
running different kernels and distributions in UML (something that's not possible
with jail, so far as I know).  I also like the idea that since devices are
virtualized, you can move a UML installation from one server to another without a
ton of work.

Any thoughts on either way of doing things and how they compare to each other?

Thanks!

Jen