[Techtalk] ntp help?!?

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Wed Mar 5 17:21:35 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:14:23AM -0600, txjulie at austin.rr.com said:
> Greets,
>
> I've managed to get ntpd running on my system, but my clock
> continues to drift.  What do I have to do to make ntpd actually
> =work=?  ntptimeset faithfully reports that the clock is merrily
> drifting away, but ntpd never fixes it ...

(Sorry, too tired to check all the details about tuning of ntpd now.)

Have you tried using ntpdate first?

If the clock is too wrong, ntpd won't adjust it - because ntpd works by
adjusting time in small steps (the main goal is (was) to keep a group of
fex file servers with clients at the same time, and then big time jumps
will cause trouble) and if the clock drifts faster than those steps, ntpd
gives up.

So, ntpdate <some server> first, also in init-scripts (it will use the
same socket as ntpd, so stop ntpd first) before ntpd starts.

If that doesn't work, check that your firewall isn't blocking and that
the server(s) you try to sync with actually let you.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.