[Techtalk] local apache weirdness

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Mar 2 21:26:58 EST 2003

Hey:

I'm getting some strange results with my laptop installation of Apache. If
I load a web page (static) as File-->Open File-->choose file all the
images display. However, if I try to pull up the file using apache none of
the images appear (and if I try to put in the URL for the image it says
file not found--404).

I'm using debian with the debian package for apache, php and mysql (php
works great, it's just the images that won't appear).

I have the debian package standard config file (i.e. no changes) other
than the virtual hosts I've added to the bottom.

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
        DocumentRoot /home/emmajane/websites/lms/html
        ServerName lms.localhost
</VirtualHost>

and in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       debian
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       lms.localhost
(etc)

Again, the HTML page appears correctly, but the images are 404 file not
found. Permissions for all files and sub-directories (where the images
are) are set to: -R 775. Only a couple of my local web sites don't work,
others are fine. I can't figure out what the difference is between the
ones that work and the ones that don't. :(

Ideas?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin