[Techtalk] updatedb hard drive thrashing

Deanna Dunker 2xthefun at madbbs.com
Sun Jun 22 13:19:48 EST 2003

I've noticed that sometimes it won't allow me to use the Find utility until
I've ran updatedb.  I'll go to find a file, and a message will pop up
saying something along the lines about how the search wont be completed
until I've run updatedb as root.  This has happened to me several times in
RH9, which I've been running for a few weeks now. I've never had that
problem in RH8.

Is there a way around it?  I've just been trying to find files through the
GUI (*cringes*, yes I'm a gui-gal).  Would I be able to search without
having to wait to updatedb another way?  Also, would this affect Ed's
searching capabilities if he uninstalled the program?