[Techtalk] taking the wireless plunge

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Sun Jun 22 08:48:35 EST 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Ok techtalkers, I have a plan. It seems simple and foolproof. I have a
> shiny new Thinkpad R32 with built-in 802.11b.

oooooooo

TOY!

> According to my research so far, all I need to connect it to my LAN is
> plug an access point into the hub. Seems to me any low-budget AP such
> as D-Link or Netgear, with a Web-based configurator, ought to work.

Most probably, yes.

> The devilish details of drivers for Linux aside, it seems simple enough.
> Thoughts?

I think Security is good.

> Notions?

You may find it cheaper and more secure if you have a server already that
you can put a PCI based wireless card in.  This means you can completely
seperate the wireless portion from the rest of your lan, and also force it
so that the only thing that gets access to anything is the hardware
address of your thinkpad, and that anything it does either happens through
IPSEC or ssh.  It also means you'll be able to attach an antenna to it
more easily so that you can go and laze around your garden with your
thinkpad :)

> Random puns?

uhm

can't think of any right now