[Techtalk] Squid

Maria Blackmore mariab at cats.meow.at
Fri Jun 20 11:26:53 EST 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Kristina Jareckaite wrote:

> Firstly, thanks to Maria for her helpful advices on the fiber optics
> problem.

Cool :)

How did it work out?

> ... and I've already got another question -- on Squid :]

squelchy

> My co-worker tried to configure it and everything seems to work fine
> but there's a problem with the sites that request authentification
> (like web-mail or so), they don't work (connection time outs appear).

Interesting, do the timeout messages appear from the web browser, or as a
page from squid?

> He asked for my help, and I told him that as far as I know these
> authorisations must be let through and not cached -- though I was
> unable to find where to fix this in the squid.conf (must confess I've
> never worked with squid before myself, had only a touch of Oops as a
> proxy server). I'd really appreciate help on this subject.

The squid.conf looks fine at a brief glance, the only thing I would
question is the contents of the ACLs in /etc/squid/acl/

One thing that would help along your diagnosis a lot, I feel, would be the
application of a little tcpdump or ethereal on the machine running squid.

I would suggest using it to watch the traffic between the squid cache and
the external web server, see what's going on.  I find it helpful to use
tcpdump on a server to capture the traffic, and then scp it back to my
workstatiom for local analysis in ethereal, but then I run a large three
site network, so this may or may not work out well for you.

Email again if you need help with tcpdump :)

Maria