[Techtalk] Mystery of the Lost Icons

Raena Lea-Shannon raen7 at ihug.com.au
Tue Jun 17 01:08:53 EST 2003

I am running SuSE 8.2 KDE 3.1.1.

I upgraded from 8.1 and that went very well.

I have a TV Card and DVD/CD and a CDRW. These all kept their configs and the
desktop icons for DVD CDRecorder and TV Card were all happily on my desktop
in the new 8.2 look and feel. These icons are not the ones can config from
the KDE system they are ones that appear automatically in the desktop from
hardware probe on boot up. KDE system does not have cdrecorder or dvd.

Subsequent to installing and configing Ogle from tarball and Mplayer from rpms
I have lost my dvd cdrecorder and tvcard desktop icons. I have tried deleting
all configs for tv card and cdrw and dvd/cd and rm the drivers from
../hardware/unique-keys and re-booting hoping they would reappear but to no
avail.

There is no ref to any Bug or known issue with this in the SuSE kdb.

I have no problem mounting cdrw and dvd nor running apps suing the tv card,
mplayer and ogle both run well. It is just a desktop Xesthetic thing and a
nagging mystery I would like to solve in case it is a symptom of a darker
force.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Raena
--