[Techtalk] XP with Linux

ed orphan millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Sun Jun 15 20:36:44 EST 2003

To Deanna Dunker
  Sounds awful, but we all know computers
are rude.
   And its nice to see someone 'plug'
Slackware. It's an excellent OS.
Can you do this command as root
     ls -l /dev/hdc5
To see what permissions /dev/hdc5 has.
I'd expect to see the result as something like:
  brw-rw---- 1 root disk blah   date-of-creation  /dev/hdc5
If not, I'd be tempted to change permissions as root:
   chmod 660 /dev/hdc5
This should allow owner and group to write to it.
Cheer up! If RH9 has no essential data on it, you
can just do a new RH9 install over your present RH9
and write over the MBR with GRUB. There are those
who claim the GRUB /etc/grub.conf has to be within
the first 8 Gigs of the hard drive, but mine is way
over that limit and it boots every time.
   It's about time Red Hat allowed the installer to
create a bootable CD during the install, that is,
for those systems with burners installed. Floppies
are dying off and the Flash/USB have not yet
replaced them.
   The floppy disk drive is suppose to be 'dead',
but you notice its really the user that 'dies' from
not having one installed. When you have time,
take a look at those Flash memory modules
with the USB connectors as a floppy disk substitute.
Flash/USB  $150    floppy disk drive  $20
Guess which one the industry wants to kill off?